Report: Wilde double finishes season off with a point

Report: Wilde double finishes season off with a point

Sunday Apr 28, 2019

Alfreton Town 2-2 Chester 

Josh Wilde hit a second half double as ten man Alfreton Town finished the 2018/19 campaign with a battling point against Chester at the Impact on Saturday.  

The Reds were sent down to ten men in the second half when Tom Allan was given his marching orders for dissent with a straight red card, this came after Chester took a first half lead. However Josh Wilde's brace twice pulled us level to end the season with a spirited point. 

Billy Heath made three changes with Tom Nicholson starting in goal, Martin Riley and Adam Curry also came in to start.

The Reds started the game well with Tom Platt looking to thread Richard Peniket through but Shenton read the pass in the box and intercepted. Both sides were looking to control the ball with stormy conditions proving challenging for the Reds who were kicking against the wind in the first half.

Asante headed over the bar when well placed in the box but the offside flag went up against the Blues striker. The striker was then denied by Platt's block in the box, before the visitors won a free kick after Mahon was pulled back after he looked to dribble through.

From the free kick on 12 minutes, Chester took the lead and it was a excellent routine which saw the ball played short to Dudley who then found Asante who had peeled off his man and he finished into the bottom corner past Nicholson.

It could have been two on 14 when Asante twisted Josh Wilde before his cross was fired wide by Waring, a corner was given when it looked like a goal kick. The pressure continued with Riley's back-ward header going behind for a corner, Dec Bacon intercepted the corner before playing the ball over to Danny O'Brien who was caught offside.

Waters cross flashed across the face before we cleared the ball at the far post, Riley then denied Dudley's shot with a block.

Our best attacking move came mid-way through the first half when O'Brien found Bacon out on the left side, Bacon then found Jordan Sinnott who played Wilde through but the full-back's cross come shot went just wide of the far post.

Bacon then had two shots blocked after Chester failed to clear a long throw in from Sinnott. The wind was causing havoc and the Reds were nearly caught out as Waring was slid through but Nicholson saved well with his inside leg at the near post.

Nicholson then made a reflex save to deny Mahon who had dribbled through on the left side, his shot took a deflection which left Tom off balance but he still managed to palm the effort over.  

The second half saw most of the action as Dudley nearly connected with a far post cross after a quiet ten minutes or so. Burton then had a hit which took a knock as it flew over Nicholson's bar, Howson would then head the resulting corner wide.

With 61 gone, the Reds went down to ten men after a straight red card for Tom Allan, for dissent. It was a moment in the game out of the blue with Allan given his marching orders to add to an already difficult task. 

However three minutes later, we equalised when O'Brien's cross on the right was bundled in by Wilde who got in front of his man to the delight of the Reds fans at the car park end. It was a shock to Chester with Alfreton's first attack of the second half resulting in a goal.

But the leveller did not last long, as Chester went back in front on 68 as Waring looped a header over Nicholson after a cross from the left. 

Chester looked to make it three and had several near misses, Waring came close at the far post before Platt denied Waters who latched onto a loose ball after Nicholson raced out. 

With Kieron Hinchley and Morgan Brough introduced, the young academy products provided energy and hard work, Brough did well on the far side to slip past his man but was denied with a crucial tackle in the box. 

But wth 81 minutes, Josh Wilde popped up again with something special as he hit a half volley from 25 yards into the bottom corner to drag us level yet again.

The Blues pushed late on as Riley denied Waring's looping header via the help of the post, before Dudley turned in the box and was denied yet again but desperate blocks which capped off a battling display for the Reds on the final day of the season. A point was an impressive one given the man light and Alfreton's new season preparations will soon begin as we look for a much stronger league campaign next season. 


ATFCXI: Nicholson, Platt, Wilde. O'Brien (Hinchley 74), Riley (c), Hotte, Bacon (Brough 78), Curry, Peniket, Sinnott, Allan.

Subs Not Used: Ridley, Ramsbottom(GK), Grice. 

Referee: Scott Simpson

Attendance: 530 

View Large Video
main club sponsor
Impact banner
Facebook Twitter
Next Game Poster
Tue 23/07/19 19:30
Scunthorpe United
Fixtures Match Reports  
23/07/2019 19:30:00 Scunthorpe United H
26/07/2019 19:30:00 Notts County H
03/08/2019 15:00:00 Brackley Town A
06/08/2019 19:45:00 Boston United H
10/08/2019 15:00:00 Blyth Spartans H
13/08/2019 19:45:00 Altrincham A
17/08/2019 15:00:00 Bradford Park Avenue H
24/08/2019 15:00:00 Guiseley A
26/08/2019 15:00:00 Southport H
31/08/2019 15:00:00 Kidderminster Harriers A
View all Fixtures