Report: Chester 3-2 Alfreton Town

Report: Chester 3-2 Alfreton Town

Sunday Oct 28, 2018

Read our report from Saturday's explosive contest as a last minute penalty won it for the hosts

Alfreton Town were desperately unlucky not to come away from Chester with at least a point, after having two contentious penalties awarded against them at either end of Saturday's explosive contest.

A fraction over two minutes into the contest referee Benjamin Speedie pointed to the spot when James Clifton was adjudged to have fouled Craig Mahon and Gary Roberts blasted Chester in front.

Alfreton's response was pretty sharp though, debutant striker Reece Styche racing on to a Luke Shiels through-ball to sublimely steer the ball inside keeper Grant Shenton's left-hand post.

Thirteen minutes later the Reds were basking in a 2-1 lead when Bobby Johnson scored directly from a free-kick after Styche had been brought down just outside the area.

There was only one team in it at this stage, that is until Clifton was deemed to have fouled Gary Stopforth just outside the Chester area when it looked highly likely the defender had played the ball, and Alfreton were reduced to ten men when the red card was brandished.

From that point on it was a question of Alfreton defending their lead, but an audacious shot from Roberts from all of 30 yards flew into the top corner of the net after Dan Mooney's 67th minute shot had been charged down.

Mani Dieseruvwe missed an absolute sitter from an Anthony Dudley cross, Jon Moran hammered the ball against the crossbar from distance and in reply Curtis Bateson's free-kick was tipped over by Shenton.

With seven minutes remaining the hosts had Steve Howson sent off after bringing down former Chester striker Craig Hobson just outside the area, but Shenton again pulled off a defiant save by tipping Bateson's free-kick on to the crossbar.

Reds' hopes of a point though, following four straight League defeats, were destroyed when the referee awarded another penalty in the fifth minute of added time, another questionable decision with Josh Gowling clearly winning the ball in the box.

Despite Sam Ramsbottom parrying Roberts' spot-kick, he was helpless to prevent the hat-trick as the midfielder followed-up to deny the Reds a deserved point. 


CHESTER: Shenton; Dom Smalley [Dieseruvwe 63], Grand, Roberts, Moran, Howson, Mooney, Stopforth, Dudley [Thomson 90+5], Deane Smalley [Pritchard 63], Mahon.

Other subs: Jordan, Murray.

ALFRETON: Ramsbottom; Clifton, Shiels, Gowling, Wilde, Hird, Johnson [Clackstone 25], Bateson, Hotte, Peniket, Styche [Hobson 81].

Other subs: Sinnott, Platt, Nicholson.

Referee: Benjamin Speedie

Attendance: 1619

View Large Video
main club sponsor
Impact banner
Facebook Twitter
Next Game Poster
Mon 22/04/19 15:00
AFC Telford United
Fixtures Match Reports  
22/04/2019 15:00:00 AFC Telford United A
24/04/2019 19:45:00 Mickleover Sports A
27/04/2019 15:00:00 Chester H
View all Fixtures