Report: Brackley Town 1-3 Alfreton Town

Report: Brackley Town 1-3 Alfreton Town

Sunday Apr 15, 2018

Read our report from Saturday's magnificent win at Brackley 

Alfreton Town pulled off a shock win at high-flying Brackley Town on Saturday to take a giant step towards National League North safety, the FA Trophy finalists having previously been unbeaten at home in all League and Cup games this season.

lt would seem that the Reds feel much more at home playing away, being unbeaten in the last four road trips compared to their frustrating form at the lmpact Arena.

lt took just 110 seconds for Alfreton to take a grip on this crucial game, Chris Sharp on hand to hook home from close range after Nyal Bell had headed down Tom Allan's astute cross.

Brendon Daniels celebrated his 18th goal of the campaign with a sublime finish after Brackley defender Ellis Myles had made a complete hash of trying to head a deep through-ball back to keeper Danny Lewis in the 30th minute.

Four minutes before half-time the Reds made it three goals from three attacks when keeper and defender slipped as they tried to deal with a precision delivery from Ceiron Keane, leaving Sharp unmarked to slot home his second of the game.

Brackley were clearly shell-shocked, but it needed returning Reds' keeper Chris Elliott to pull off excellent saves from Gareth Dean, Luke Graham and Matt Lowe during the course of the opening 45 minutes, whilst the defence dealt competently with a string of corners.

The hosts eventually managed to reduce the deficit with 61 minutes on the clock, a simple header by Aaron Williams from an equally simple right wing cross finally beating Elliott.

Further pressure was soaked up before Craig Westcarr received his marching orders after disputing a free-kick on 69 minutes and Alfreton's task intensified, having to play the remainder of the game with ten men, although they crucially maintained their two-goal cushion.

A further outstanding save by Elliott from Dean was the prelude to a dazzling central run by Tom Platt, who was just about to fire home in the 75th minute when the ball bobbled on the unpredictable St. James Park surface and the outcome was well off target.

After the final whistle every Alfreton player went over to the fans behind the goal to shake hands with as many as they could, demonstrating their appreciation of our fantastic support throughout this campaign.


BRACKLEY: Lewis; Myles, Streete [Franklin 50], Byrne, Graham, Dean, G.Walker [laciofano 76], Nicholson [Armson 50], Ndlovu, Williams, Lowe.

Other subs: A.Walker, Brown.

ALFRETON; Elliott; Topliss, Beevers, Wagner, Allan, Keane [Jennings 88], Disley, Platt, Daniels, Bell [Westcarr 33], Sharp [Marshall 66].

Other subs: Green, Everington.

Referee: Anthony Tankard

Attendance: 495

View Large Video
main club sponsor
Impact banner
Facebook Twitter
Next Game Poster
Fixtures Match Reports