Report: Alfreton Town 3-1 Blyth Spartans

Report: Alfreton Town 3-1 Blyth Spartans

Monday Aug 20, 2018

Read our report as the Reds secured a first home win of the season on Saturday

Alfreton Town registered a first home win of the season, as a Tom Denton brace fired the Reds to victory over Blyth Spartans on Saturday. 

Billy Heath made just the one change from Tuesday's defeat to Curzon with Callum Chettle replacing Craig King. 

The Reds started the contest with purpose and after five minutes the Spartans had early defending to do with Chettle's cross finding Tom Denton who neatly found Curtis Bateson but the ball was hooked off the line.  

Blyth responded with a corner of their own after Kieran Green's shot was blocked but the Reds dealt with the danger early on. 

But with 11 minutes gone, Alfreton broke the deadlock, a corner swung in from the right found Denton who nodded into the corner at the near post to give the Reds the perfect start. 

The goal immediately rasied the tempo, Richard Peniket fired over the bar before James Clifton fired a hopeful effort just wide of the post. 

The Spartans were then awarded a penalty on 23 minutes after Jamie Holmes looked to round Sam Ramsbottom, the Reds keeper looked to have brought the Blyth player down in the box and Robbie Dale gladly stepped up and sent Ramsbottom the wrong way to level the score. 

The goal was an obvious set back for the Reds who looked to react but Jameson remained alert, palming Denton's header wide of the post at full stretch. 

The second half brought added spice and energy to the Reds play and the urgency was evident from the restart. Jameson bundled a far post cross destined for Peniket behind.

The visitors would soon wrestle control of the game mid-way through the second half as their defending continued to frustrate the Reds as Clifton and Bateson's balls in were all dealt with. 

With 65 minutes gone the Reds regained the lead as Denton peeled off his man in the box and powered a header into the corner past Jameson.

It was then 3-1 on 67 minutes as Tom Platt glanced a header into the bottom corner from an excellent delivery from Chettle. It was a stunning period of play from the Reds with two goals in two minutes proving decisive. 

The Blyth keeper kept us at bay yet again, denying Denton from close range as the Reds eased in the end to a first home league win of the season to lift us to 9th in the table. 

Next up, we travel to Stockport County on Saturday, 3pm kick off.  


ALFRETON: Ramsbottom, Clifton, Wilde, Platt (Bacon 91), Gowling, Shiels (c), Bateson (Clarke 74), Hotte, Denton, Peniket (Middleton 84), Chettle. 

Subs not used: Nicholson, King.

Attendance: 465 

Referee: Michael Barlow 

Reds MOTM: Tom Denton 






View Large Video
main club sponsor
Impact banner
Facebook Twitter
Next Game Poster
Sat 29/06/19 15:00
Nottingham Forest
Fixtures Match Reports  
29/06/2019 15:00:00 Nottingham Forest H
06/07/2019 15:00:00 Walsall H
13/07/2019 15:00:00 Mansfield Town H
16/07/2019 19:45:00 Lincoln United A
20/07/2019 15:00:00 Derby County H
23/07/2019 19:30:00 Scunthorpe United H
26/07/2019 19:30:00 Notts County H
View all Fixtures