FT: Barrow 1    0 Alfreton Town

29 November 2011

Dave Pursglove's match picture album here 

ALFRETON Town put in another battling performance in deepest Cumbria on Tuesday night without having anything to show for their endeavours.
  A solitary goal in the tenth minute settled the outcome of the game, which was ruined by a howling gale as the Reds once again indicated that survival in the Blue Square Bet Premier was still very much achievable
 With three minutes gone and the wind firmly behind their backs, Nathan Arnold won the first of Alfreton's 13 corners with a shot that was diverted behind by Paul Smith.
 Then on eight minutes Jake Moult unleashed a 20 yard thunderbolt that clipped Barrow defender Danny Hone and was heading for the bottom corner of the net when keeper Shaun Pearson pulled off a tremendous reaction save.
When Moult swung the corner in the ball clipped the outside of the post, but two minutes later the hosts were ahead after Reds' keeper Joe Day could only parry an effort from Richie Baker and Andy Cook followed up to net from eight yards after Theo Streete slipped in trying to clear.
Day made a good save in the 20th minute from a Cook volley from an Adam Boyes pass, then the wind scuppered a promising Reds' move with Moult's shot taking flight and soaring high and wide after being set up by Paul Clayton.
Moult's drive from the left was held by Pearson, then two minutes before half-time Anthony Wilson headed against the outside of the upright from another Moult corner.
A good block by Hone halted Clayton's progress as he skipped through a rather static Barrow rearguard, then a curling drive by Moult won the Reds' seventh corner of the opening 45 minutes.

HT: Barrow 1    0 Alfreton Town

Alfreton adapted to the conditions much better after the interval and did more than enough to warrant at the very least a share of the spoils, but once again found no reward.
Greg Young was well off target with a header from Moult's 53rd minute free-kick, then after Arnold had combined with Wilson an angled drive by Rob Eagle needed a late save by Pearson.
The woodwork saved Barrow twice in the 57th minute and then 60 seconds later as first of all Moult struck the upright from wide right, then Clayton's header deflected off a defender and on to the post as Moult's cross caused confusion in the box.
Baker's header only just evaded Day's crossbar in the 63rd minute, then an Andy Ferrell shot was blocked by Young and Day caught a swirling Smith cross under pressure from Cook.
As the Reds once again stepped up the pace Chris Senior's 85th minute shot was blocked on the line by Baker after Young had nodded down yet another Moult corner.
Then in the third minute of added time Connor Franklin, Arnold and Nathan Jarman were involved in setting up Theo Streete for a chip that Pearson stretched to save, and from the corner Arnold thought his powerful header had earned an equaliser until Pearson again pulled off an incredible save.

Alfreton Town Team:

Joe Day
Connor Franklin
Theo Streete
Greg Young
Adam Quinn
Jake Moult
Anthony Church
Rob Eagle (Josh Law 79)
Paul Clayton (Chris Senior 68)
Nathan Arnold
Anthony wilson (Nathan Jarman 79)
Substitutes not used: Leigh Franks, Anton Brown

Barrow Team:

Bolland (Nicholas 35)
Rowe (Mackreth 56)
Substitutes not used: Lomax, Owen, Almond

Goal: Barrow AFC - Andy Cook 10 minutes

Alfreton Town - Greg Young (63, foul on Cook)

Attendance: 963

Man of the Match: Jake Moult

Referee: Jeremy Simpson of Lancaster Match Reports

View Large Video
main club sponsor
Impact banner
Facebook Twitter
Next Game Poster
Sat 29/06/19 15:00
Nottingham Forest
Fixtures Match Reports  
29/06/2019 15:00:00 Nottingham Forest H
06/07/2019 15:00:00 Walsall H
13/07/2019 15:00:00 Mansfield Town H
23/07/2019 19:30:00 Scunthorpe United H
26/07/2019 19:30:00 Notts County H
View all Fixtures