FT: Grimsby Town 7    0 Alfreton Town

25 August 2014


Alfreton Town suffered their heaviest defeat since losing 9-1 in a 1997 FATrophy tie at Solihull Borough, when they shipped seven goals without reply at Grimsby Town on Monday.

It was a difficult afternoon for loyal Reds' fans to endure, and apart from a few promising moves in the first half there was precious little for them to cheer about as the hosts piled on the agony.

And to add to their misery Anthony Howell was dismissed for a lunging tackle on Scott Brown midway through the second half with three more goals still to concede.

There was early hope with Jordan Keane going close with a header from a second minute Tom Shaw corner, but Grimsby were ahead by the tenth minute when Lenell John-Lewis slid the ball past Cameron Dawson from just inside the area from Jon-Paul Pittman's cross.

Dan Bradley forced Aristote Nsiala to head clear his deep cross, then at the other end Bradley Wood flung himself in front Patrick McLaughlin to prevent a second goal, but the move continued with Dawson superbly tipping over from Scott Neilson's scorcher.

Nathan Hicks drew a good save from home keeper James McKeown in the 17th minute, then the same player saw his shot diverted behind from a Shaw free-kick four minutes later.

Grimsby doubled their advantage on 31 minutes when John-Lewis was left with a free header from another Pittman cross, this time the ball rebounding off the upright before entering the net off Dawson for an unfortunate own goal.

Twelve minutes later it was 3-0 when Pittman sprinted 25 yards following a Wood error to take the ball around the Reds' keeper, the first half concluding with Joe Ironside's shot held by McKeown.

HT: Grimsby Town 3    0 Alfreton Town

Just 50 seconds of the second half had elapsed when former Alfreton and Chesterfield midfielder Craig Clay fired home from 16 yards to add to the Mariners' tally, then on 50 minutes John-Lewis saw his effort parried by Dawson before being hacked off the line by Keane.

John-Lewis raced clear again on the hour to be thwarted by Dawson, then six minutes later a heated free-for-all erupted after Howell fouled Brown and referee Nicholas Kinseley brandished a red card.

Dawson again did well to tip over a shot from Neilson, but the keeper never stood a chance with the pick of the seven goals 11 minutes from time when Brown lashed the ball past him from 25 yards.

A brief response from Alfreton saw Lee Stevenson's low drive comfortably held by McKeown, then as Grimsby continued to attack relentlessly Wood stretched to clear Paul Bignot's shot off the line.

Two minutes from time Jack Mackreth pulled the ball back from the by-line to allow Clay to score the sixth goal from 12 yards, then Neilson added the seventh for good measure in stoppage time

Ironically Neilson had been booked as early as 22 seconds from the start with a crunching tackle on Paul Clayton, and 22 seconds into added time literally waltzed through the Reds' exhausted defence to take the ball around Dawson.

Alfreton Town Team:
20 Cameron Dawson
02 Bradley Wood
03 Lathaniel Rowe-Turner
11 Anthony Howell
15 Jordan Keane
04 Duane Courtney (16 Dan Gray, 28 mins)
10 Dan Bradley (14 Jake Sheridan, 75 mins)
12 Tom Shaw
09 Paul Clayton (08 Lee Stevenson, 46 mins)
18 Joe Ironside
07 Nathan Hicks
Substitutes not used:
01 Jon Harris-Stewart
17 Massiah McDonald

Grimsby Town Team:
01 James McKeown
22 Aristote Nsiala (02 Paul Bignot, 62 mins)
06 Carl Magnay (25 Caine Winfarrah, 78 mins)
16 Craig Clay
05 Shaun Pearson
30 Andrew Boyce
11 Scott Neilson
04 Scott Brown
14 Lennell John-Lewis
18 Jon-Paul Pittman (07 Jack Mackreth, 70 mins)
26 Patrick McLaughlin
Substitutes not used:
08 Craig Disley
17 Alan Connell

Grimsby Town - Lennell John-Lewis (10), Cameron Dawson (31, own goal), Jon-Paul Pittman (31), Craig Clay (46 and 88), Brown (79), Scott Neilson (90).

Grimsby Town - Aristote Nsiala, Carl Magnay, Scott Brown
Alfreton Town - Lathaniel Rowe-Turner and Dan Bradley

Sent off:
Alfreton Town - Anthony Howell (65 mins, foul on Scott Brown)

Attendance breakdown: 3619 including 67 from Alfreton

Attendance: 3619

Man of the Match: Nathan Hicks

Referee: Nicholas Kinseley of Wickford Match Reports

View Large Video
main club sponsor
Impact banner
Facebook Twitter
Next Game Poster
Tue 23/07/19 19:30
Scunthorpe United
Fixtures Match Reports  
23/07/2019 19:30:00 Scunthorpe United H
26/07/2019 19:30:00 Notts County H
03/08/2019 15:00:00 Brackley Town A
06/08/2019 19:45:00 Boston United H
10/08/2019 15:00:00 Blyth Spartans H
13/08/2019 19:45:00 Altrincham A
17/08/2019 15:00:00 Bradford Park Avenue H
24/08/2019 15:00:00 Guiseley A
26/08/2019 15:00:00 Southport H
31/08/2019 15:00:00 Kidderminster Harriers A
View all Fixtures