FT: Alfreton Town 1    6 Forest Green Rovers

20 August 2011

Match picture album by Dave Pursglove here

Alfreton Town were given a harsh lesson in the realities of life at Conference Premier level on Saturday, when perennial strugglers Forest Green Rovers emerged from the Impact Arena with a flattering 6-1 victory.
It was an horrific outcome for the Reds against a team seeking their first win of the season, but defensive errors were in abundance and their cause was certainly not helped by the injury to Anthony Wilson that saw Alfreton concede three late goals with only ten men on the pitch.
Wilson had replaced Jamie Mullan in the 65th minute, but by the time he had hobbled off just 13 minutes later all the Reds' substitute's had been used as manager Nicky Law briefly threw four strikers forward in a bid to cut the 3-1 deficit that had prevailed since midway through the first half.
Paul Clayton almost gave Alfreton the lead inside the opening ten seconds as Rovers' keeper Matt Bulman saw his attempted clearance blocked by Nathan Arnold and the ball fell to Clayton at him, but his shot from 25 yards drifted wide of the right-hand angle.
Forest Green struck in the fourth minute with JamesTurley extending a leg to skew a shot in from six yards from a Reece Styche cross amid appeals for offside, but Alfreton responded with Nathan Arnold robbing Jared Hodgkiss on the edge of the area only to direct his tenth minute shot straight at Bulman.
Three minutes later though the Reds were level when Theo Streete claimed his first Alfreton goal with a firm header from six yards into the roof of the net from Josh Law's cross, then Matt Wilson volleyed wide from a Jake Moult corner.
Charlie Griffin restored Forest Green's lead on 19 minutes with a header from eight yards from a Chris Allen corner, then back at the other end shortly after the restart Greg Young headed wide from another Moult corner.
An absolute howler from home keeper Dan Lowson gifted Rovers a third goal in the 22nd minute when he first of all came out of his area to control the ball under little pressure, but then miskicked it and allowed Styche to intercept and curl the ball into an unguarded net from 20 yards.
 The first half ended with Streete heading wide from a Law corner then seconds after taking the field Anthony Wilson almost succeeded in playing Clayton through only for Turley to divert the ball behind.

HT: Alfreton Town 1    3 Forest Green Rovers

It was then Streete's turn to break up a dangerous Forest Green move by nicking the ball off Yan Klukowski at the expense of a 63rd minute corner, then a low Nathan Jarman drive was held by Bulman under pressure from Chris Senior.
Bulman had to stretch to punch out a deep Connor Franklin cross in the 74th minute as the Reds pushed forward defiantly despite being reduced to ten men, but the game was put beyond their reach two minutes later when Styche held off Young from Luke Graham's pass to steer the ball past Lowson from 16 yards.
There was brief hope of a rally ten minutes from time when Jarman's cross seemed ideal for Streete to nod in, but Graham just managed to nick the ball away from him, then a long, unchecked run by Robbie Matthews ended with his shot being curled around the back post.
Had the referee blown at the end of 90 minutes the 4-1 scoreline might have been more palatable and would certainly have been a more accurate reflection of the afternoon, but Alfreton went on to concede two more goals in added time.
The fifth goal was inexplicable in that Streete seemed to have blocked Matthews cross into the box after the Rovers' sub had dispossessed Matt Wilson and outpaced Young, but under no pressure he then miskicked the ball into his own net to mar an otherwise notable personal performance.
The rout was completed with arguably the best goal of the game when a crossfield pass from James Rowe was lashed home into the roof of the net by Kulkowski in the fourth minute of stoppage time.

Alfreton Town - Theo Streete (13).
 Forest Green Rovers Jamie Turley (4), Charlie Griffin (19), Reece Styche (22 & 76), - Theo Streete own goal (90+4), Yan Klukowski (90+5).
Alfreton Town - Connor Franklin (39, foul on Styche), Matt Wilson (46, foul on Styche).
Forest Green Rovers - Reece Styche (72 unsporting behaviour).

Alfreton Town Team:

Dan Lowson, Josh Law, Connor Franklin, Theo Streete, Greg Young (c), Matt Wilson, Anton Brown, Jake Moult (Nathan Jarman 62), Paul Clayton, Nathan Arnold (Chris Senior 65), Jamie Mullan (Anthony Wilson, 56).
Substitutes not used: Jordan Hall, Levi Mackin

Forest Green Rovers Team:
14 Matt Bulman, 2 Jared Hodgkiss ©, 3 Chris Stokes, 5 James Turley, 8 Yan Klukowski, 9 Reece Styche (Curtis McDonald, 86), 10 Charlie Griffin (Robbie Matthews 79), 11 Kieran Forbes, 16 Luke Graham, 18 Chris Allen, 19 James Rowe.
Substitutes not used: 1 James Bittner, 12 Jeffrey Imudia, 15 Callum Henry.

Attendance: 686

Man of the Match: Theo Streete

Referee: Mr Darren Bond of Burscough Match Reports

View Large Video
main club sponsor
Impact banner
Facebook Twitter
Next Game Poster
Tue 23/07/19 19:30
Scunthorpe United
Fixtures Match Reports  
23/07/2019 19:30:00 Scunthorpe United H
26/07/2019 19:30:00 Notts County H
03/08/2019 15:00:00 Brackley Town A
06/08/2019 19:45:00 Boston United H
10/08/2019 15:00:00 Blyth Spartans H
13/08/2019 19:45:00 Altrincham A
17/08/2019 15:00:00 Bradford Park Avenue H
24/08/2019 15:00:00 Guiseley A
26/08/2019 15:00:00 Southport H
31/08/2019 15:00:00 Kidderminster Harriers A
View all Fixtures