FT: Kidderminster Harriers 1    3 Alfreton Town

14 December 2013

Dave Pursglove's match picture album here

 Alfreton Town pulled off a surprise win at Kidderminster Harriers on Saturday to regain sixth spot in the Skrill Premier, just hours after rushing to sign goalkeeper Jon Worsnop on a one match basis from FC United Manchester with Ross Atkins injured.
  Added to that had been an obvious loss of confidence by the Reds with four straight defeats without scoring, culminating in an embarrassing loss to Heanor Town in the Derbyshire Senior Cup in midweek.
  In an effort to turn the tide manager Nicky Law fielded a largely defensive line-up at Aggborough with John Akinde the lone frontrunner, and despite the lack of goals stretching to a worrying 484 minutes Alfreton overcame a half-time deficit with Michael Wylde claiming his first two goals for the club.
  Having won by the same score earlier in the season the Reds recorded only their third double since being promoted to the Conference Premier, after beating Bath City twice in their opening season and Barrow in the 2012/13 campaign.
  Kidderminster started the game positively with Joe Lolley firing just wide in the fourth minute from 15 yards following a useful cross from Michael Gash, then two minutes later Lolley curled a deflected shot beyond the back post from a Lee Fowler pass with Worsnop fisting clear the ensuing corner.
  Fowler went close from 18 yards in the 11th minute and Amari Morgan-Smith missed from close range from a right-wing corner as Kidderminster continued to push forward, but the opening goal was on the horizon.
  Alfreton failed to prevent Morgan-Smith from breaking free in the 17th minute and his pace allowed Callum Gittings to sweep the ball in from just inside the area with the assistance of the foot of the upright, and with Harriers leading 1-0 the Reds' were facing an uphill struggle.
  Worsnop smothered the ball at Lolley's feet as the striker threatened again in the 24th minute, then in a rare Reds' attack Tom Shaw fired over from 25 yards against his former club, then in the latter stages of the first half Worsnop forced Lolley wide when clear and the danger was averted.

HT: Kidderminster Harriers 1    0 Alfreton Town

Chris Westwood had been replaced at half-time by Daniel Meadows following a calf niggle, but the change was as instrumental as anything in bringing about Alfreton's resurgence.
  However the first chance of the second half was squandered by the hosts when Mickey Demetriou hooked wide from a deep Danny Jackman cross. but Alfreton were able to draw level on 52 minutes following a mix-up between defender Chey Dunkley and keeper Danny Lewis.
  The alert Akinde latched on to Dunkley's weak back-header to force the ball across the edge of the six-yard box for Wylde to stroke home right in front of the traveling fans.
  Worsnop earned the admiration of supporters in the 55th minute with two defiant saves that allowed Alfreton to stay in contention, first of all stretching to turn aside Morgan-Smith's shot from the edge of the area then from the corner tipping over Gash's powerful header.
  Two more confident saves by Worsnop from Morgan-Smith soon followed, but sandwiched inbetween Shaw's 61st minute corner at the other end led to Nick Fenton's header being scrambled off the line.
  Alfreton edged ahead in the 68th minute moments after former Ilkeston striker Morgan-Smith had been sent off for a second bookable offence, Lathaniel Rowe-Turner taking the free-kick on the half-way line before Shaw's shot was turned in by Wylde again from six yards.
  When Akinde scurried clear in the 72nd minute from Meadows' astute pass it looked like a bad miss by the striker, but Lewis must have deflected it behind with a faint touch as the referee awarded a corner, then in response Kyle Storer fired woefully wide with the hosts visibly shaken.
 Twelve minutes from time Gash's full-blooded free-kick from the edge of the area was palmed over by Worsnop, then Lewis beat out a less venomous Dan Bradley free-kick before the Kidderminster keeper turned aside Akinde's strong angled drive.
  It was Akinde who deservedly settled the issue 90 seconds from time after Lewis had upended him as he advanced to the by-line, stroking the resultant penalty low into the corner of the net.

Alfreton Town Team:
15 Jon Worsnop
21 Lathaniel Rowe-Turner
16 Nick Fenton
03 Connor Franklin
04 Chris Westwood (12 Daniel Meadows, h/t)
02 Bradley Wood
05 Michael Wylde
10 Dan Bradley
06 Darran Kempson
08 Tom Shaw
18 Job Ayo Akinde
Substitutes not used:
20 Jay McFadzean
13 Daniel Wishart
09 Paul Clayton
14 Alastair Taylor

Kidderminster Harriers Team:

01 Danny Lewis
03 Mickey Demetriou
30 Josh Gowling
06 Chey Dunkley
08 Lee Fowler (10 Anthony Malbon, 84 mins)
18 Callum Gittings
04 Kyle Storer
16 Danny Jackman
22 Amari Morgan-Smith
21 Joe Lolley
09 Michael Gash
Substitutes not used:
17 James Dance
15 Jamie Grimes
23 Nathan Vaughan
05 Jamie Tolley

Kidderminster Harriers - Callum Gittings (17)
Alfreton Town - Michael Wylde (54 & 68), Job Ayo Akinde (89, penalty)

Kidderminster Harriers - Gittings, Morgan-Smith (x2), Lolley
Alfreton Town - Nick Fenton, Michael Wylde, Dan Bradley, Job Ayo Akinde

Sent off: Amari Morgan-Smith (66, two cautionable offences)

Attendance breakdown: 1,834 including 57 from Alfreton

Attendance: 1834

Man of the Match: Jon Worsnop

Referee: Christopher Kavanagh of Ashton-under-Lyne Match Reports

View Large Video
main club sponsor
Impact banner
Facebook Twitter
Next Game Poster
Tue 23/07/19 19:30
Scunthorpe United
Fixtures Match Reports  
23/07/2019 19:30:00 Scunthorpe United H
26/07/2019 19:30:00 Notts County H
03/08/2019 15:00:00 Brackley Town A
06/08/2019 19:45:00 Boston United H
10/08/2019 15:00:00 Blyth Spartans H
13/08/2019 19:45:00 Altrincham A
17/08/2019 15:00:00 Bradford Park Avenue H
24/08/2019 15:00:00 Guiseley A
26/08/2019 15:00:00 Southport H
31/08/2019 15:00:00 Kidderminster Harriers A
View all Fixtures