FT: Gainsborough Trinity 1    1 Alfreton Town

28 March 2016

It was Alfreton Town's turn to snatch a late, late equaliser when they visited Gainsborough Trinity on Easter Monday afternoon, skipper Dan Bradley smashing home a penalty in the fifth minute of added time.

The referee had originally indicated that just two minutes were to be added, but lengthy treatment to Todd Jordan expanded the additional time, Niall Heaton's throw leading to an interchange with Cecil Nyoni before the latter was tripped by Jonathan D'Laryea just inside the area.

Jake Picton had given Trinity a 64th minute lead when he rifled home a Simon Russell cross low past Matt Duke, the Reds' keeper again having made a massive contribution to Alfreton's cause with a handful of critical saves.

Manager Nicky Law had made wholesale changes following Saturday's disappointing performance against Gloucester City, although Lindon Meikle was suffering from an injury after limping off on Saturday.

Joining Meikle on the sidelines were Joe Leesley, Jamie Jackson and Andi Thanoj, although the last-named did play for 66 minutes after replacing the injured Ryan Wilson, who had been given a rare start.

Others to benefit from the changes were Tom Allan and Joe Doyle, whilst new loan striker Jamie McDonagh was given his Reds' debut.

In fact it was McDonagh who was instrumental in Alfreton's first decent attack, whipping a tenth minute cross into the box, where neither Sam Smith nor Wilson could attain that vital touch.

Eleven minutes later McDonagh took a return pass from Doyle but could only submit a stubbed shot, then on 28 minutes Duke had to be alert as Russell smashed a free-kick through the wall.

Jordan glanced a free header wide from a Thanoj corner, then Duke stuck a leg out to thwart Marc Newsham when he was sent through by Russell, the game swinging to the other end as Smith's shot from Bradley's 37th minute cross was intercepted by Gainsborough's player-manager and former Reds' defender Dominic Roma.

HT: Gainsborough Trinity 0    0 Alfreton Town

Home keeper Jan Budtz then made successive eye-catching saves from Bradley and Allan following a very neat Alfreton move, the second half rather tame in comparison until Thanoj blazed over on the hour following blistering pace from Bradley.

Duke held an awkward snap shot from Jamie Yates 60 seconds before the opening goal and Allan's towering header from a Leesley corner was somehow diverted on to the roof of the net by Adam Quinn with 16 minutes remaining.

Very little excitement ensued until the closing stages, Alfreton's late leveller ensuring they remained unbeaten on the road since losing 1-0 at Lowestoft Town in a howling gale on December 5th, 2015.

Alfreton Town Team:
01 Matt Duke
02 Tom Allan
03 Julian Banton
04 Todd Jordan
05 Niall Heaton
06 Cecil Nyoni
07 Joe Doyle-Charles (Joe Leesley, 71 mins)
08 Ryan Wilson (Andi Thanoj, 23 mins)
09 Jamie McDonagh
10 Sam Smith (Jamie Jackson, 71 mins)
11 Dan Bradley (c)
Substitutes not used:
Lindon Meikle

Gainsborough Trinity Team:

01 Jan Budtz
02 Dominic Roma (c)
03 Josh Lacey
04 Jonathan D'Laryea
05 Adam Quinn
06 Jake Picton
07 Jamie Yates
08 Simon Russell
09 Marc Newsham (Darryn Stamp, 84 mins)
10 Nathan Jarman (Charlie Binns, 90+3 mins)
11 Liam Davis
Substitutes not used:
Cameron Rigby
Craig Reid
Jonathan Hedge (GK)

Gainsborough Trinity - Jake Picton (64)
Alfreton Town - Dan Bradley (90+5, penalty)

Gainsborough Trinity - None
Alfreton Town - None

Attendance: 529

Man of the Match: Matt Duke

Referee: Declan Ford of Lincoln Match Reports

View Large Video
main club sponsor
Impact banner
Facebook Twitter
Next Game Poster
Fixtures Match Reports