FT: Forest Green Rovers 4    1 Alfreton Town

05 November 2011

Dave Pursglove's match picture album here

Match report to follow.   Report from official Forest Green Rovers website here

ALFRETON Town remain second bottom of the Blue Square Bet Premier after Forest Green Rovers became the first team to complete a double over them at this level.
The scoreline flattered the hosts, much as it had done in the first meeting at the Impact Arena in August, when again poor defending in the closing stages gifted Rovers a trio of goals.
Perhaps the most significant statistic to emerge from the game was that this was only Forest Green's sixth win of the season, and with Alfreton still on level terms with 14 minutes remaining the visitors had looked capable of keeping that particular tally at five.
A Nathan Jarman free-kick in the third minute was helped on by Anton Brown with Paul Clayton going close, then Matty Taylor's header was held at close range by Reds' keeper Joe Day.
Day clutched a 25 yarder from Al Bangura, then as play swung from end to end Anthony Wilson ran into the area and went down under a challenge from Jared Hodgkiss, but the Rovers' skipper was not penalised.
A rising Josh Law free-kick cleared the stand behind the goal in the 18th minute, then Day tipped a low angled drive from Hodgkiss around the post following a Yan Klukowski cross.
Chris Senior then showed determination as the impetus of making a cross propelled him into and over the advertising boards at the side of the pitch, but he immediately recovered to put in another delivery that caused debutant keeper Jonathan Bond to flap at the ball under pressure from Clayton.
Jamie Turley stabbed home from close range as Day fumbled a 25th minute corner taken by James Rowe, but celebrations were curtailed as the referee awarded a free-kick for a push on the keeper.
A threatening run by Klukowski four minutes later ended with a woeful chip over, then a driven cross from Charlie Griffin produced a good save by Day.
In the absence of both Leigh Franks and Connor Franklin the long throws became the responsibility of Greg Young, and from one of these in the 34th minute Wilson managed to force his way between two defenders but ultimately could not control the ball.
Luke Potter had to hack clear at the near post as Hodgkiss rounded off a move started by Griffin and continued by Kieron Forbes, then Hodgkiss had to block a shot from Wilson at the other end from a deflected by-line cross by Senior.

HT: Forest Green Rovers 0    0 Alfreton Town

The opening goal came three minutes after the interval when Taylor followed up from close range after Day had done particularly well to parry a stinging angled drive from Griffin.
Potter did well to recover after a poor kick from Day let in Klukowski, then from the resultant corner Griffin headed over, then a flag-kick at the other end was worked back to Jarman before his shot was held by Bond.
Young was particularly unfortunate to be cautioned for a misunderstanding generated by unclear signals from the referee after Jarman had taken a throw in the wrong place, the Reds' defender punished for trying to take the throw in the correct location when it had already been correctly transferred to the opposition.
Alfreton levelled the game in the 62nd minute when Wilson turned and fired low past Bond from 15 yards after a penetrating run by Law from the halfway line, but two minutes later Rovers had another goal celebration cut short when the ball had gone out of play before Taylor whipped it past Day.
A fluent move by the hosts on 74 minutes led to Chris Stokes going close, but their lead was restored two minutes later when Eddie Oshodi headed down a Rowe corner for Taylor to rifle home from eight yards.
Another corner produced Taylor's hat-trick goal ten minutes from time when he turned and slotted past Day from six yards from Turley's cross, then after celebrating too eagerly with the home fans another unnecessary yellow card was brandished at the scorer.
Griffin fired over from 16 yards in the 85th minute but made amends four minutes later after Forbes had pounced on a loose back-pass from Jordan Hall, rounding off the tally with a simple tap-in.
In the 90th minute Wilson forced Bond to save his angled drive at the foot of his near post, then in the fourth minute of added time Griffin again squandered a decent chance by dragging his shot wide when well placed.
There was one major boost for Alfreton ahead of their FA Cup tie with Carlisle United, and that was the return to action of Nathan Arnold for the last 20 minutes after sustaining a fractured metatarsal in the fourth game of the season at Darlington way back on August 23rd.

Alfreton Town Team:

Joe Day
Josh Law
Theo Streete
Greg Young
Luke Potter
Anton Brown
Jordan Hall
Chris Senior
Nathan Jarman (Jamie Mullan 79)
Paul Clayton (Nathan Arnold 70)
Anthony Wilson
Substitutes not used: Levi mackin, James Ellison, Lee Stevenson

Forest Green Rovers Team:

Jonathan Bond
Jared Hodgkiss
Chris Stokes
Jamie Turley
Yan Klukowski
Charlie Griffin
Kieron Forbes
Matt Taylor (Michael Uwezu 86)
James Rowe
Al Bangura
Eddie Oshodi
Substitutes not used: James Bittner, Jeffrey Imudia, Luke Graham, Jake Thomson

Goals: Forest Green Rovers - Matty Taylor (48, 76 & 80), Charlie Griffin (89). Alfreton Town - Anthony Wilson (62).

Cautions: Forest Green Rovers - . Alfreton Town - Anton Brown (47, foul on Bangura); Greg Young 959, unsporting conduct).

Attendance: 764 (including 47 from Alfreton Town).

Attendance: 764

Man of the Match: Josh Law

Referee: Karl Evans of Wigan Match Reports

View Large Video
main club sponsor
Impact banner
Facebook Twitter
Next Game Poster
Tue 23/07/19 19:30
Scunthorpe United
Fixtures Match Reports  
23/07/2019 19:30:00 Scunthorpe United H
26/07/2019 19:30:00 Notts County H
03/08/2019 15:00:00 Brackley Town A
06/08/2019 19:45:00 Boston United H
10/08/2019 15:00:00 Blyth Spartans H
13/08/2019 19:45:00 Altrincham A
17/08/2019 15:00:00 Bradford Park Avenue H
24/08/2019 15:00:00 Guiseley A
26/08/2019 15:00:00 Southport H
31/08/2019 15:00:00 Kidderminster Harriers A
View all Fixtures