FT: Alfreton Town 4    0 Southport

10 December 2011

Dave Pursglove's match picture album here

ALFRETONTown found themselves in the draw for the second round of the F.A.Trophy after demolishing high-flying Southport 4-0 at the Impact Arena.
  And after picking up £5000 prize money the Reds will now face a mammoth trek to face Southern League Premier Division side Weymouth FC on Saturday, January 14th, 2012.
  This was a complete and pulsating performance against a Southport side that had struggled to beat the Reds on their own ground in their League encounter seven days earlier, and as well as a third successive home win a much needed clean sheet, a first in 22 games, was also recorded.
  Alfreton keeper Joe Day did not have a direct shot to save all afternoon, but the visitors did hit the crossbar before the goals arrived and the Reds could even bask in the luxury of a missed penalty.
  Karl Ledsham went close for Southport in the third minute with a curling free-kick, but Alfreton quickly responded with Anthony Wilson's shot on the turn needing a low save by visiting keeper Tony McMillan.
  Wilson then charged down a weak back-pass by Steve Akrigg as he and McMillan found themselves in a race for possession after seven minutes, but the ball rebounded a couple of feet wide of the near post.
  There were appeals for a penalty as Akrigg appeared to push Wilson, then after 17 minutes at the other end Shaun Whalley saw his shot come back off the bar from eight yards after Andy Owens had set him up in the 17th minute.
  Nathan Arnold cut in from the left and went close with a low drive from 25 yards, then with 26 minutes elapsed Wilson sent Arnold through and a good save by McMillan was necessary.
  Akrigg headed over for the Sandgrounders on 31 minutes from a Ledsham cross, then in response Anton Brown sent a header just wide of the target from a Josh Law free-kick.
  Akrigg appeared to impede Jake Moult in the 36th minute but again no penalty was forthcoming, although two minutes later the Reds deservedly forged ahead when Brown stretched at the back post to head in after Nathan Jarman's near post header had spun off the keeper.
  Wilson had been involved in the build-up, his direct approach seeing his shot charged down before the loose ball found its way to Jarman, and Wilson was instrumental again as Alfreton had a chance to double their advantage in the 42nd minute.
 The Reds' third penalty appeal was successful on this occasion as Simon Grand pushed Wilson, but Jarman ruined his 100% record from the spot by firing wide.
  Alfreton did lead 2-0 however In the first minute of stoppage time before the break, when Moult's driven cross was neatly turned in at the near post by Wilson who got in just ahead of the keeper and two covering defenders.

HT: Alfreton Town 2    0 Southport

Just two minutes into the second half Jarman atoned when he dispossessed the hapless Akrigg to set up Arnold, but having side-stepped the keeper the ball struck the crossbar before rebounding for Jarman to volley in the third goal.
  McMillan held Arnold's angled drive on the hour, then the busy keeper held Adam Quinn's header after Brown had flicked on a long throw by Law.
  Wilson fired over from a difficult angle in the 72nd minute, then with ten minutes remaining Paul Clayton tidied up the scoring with a deft shot placed into the corner of the net from a Connor Franklin cross.
  Southport almost forced a consolation in the 86th minute but the alert Quinn intercepted as Whalley fired at goal and the innocuous corner was just about the last noteworthy action of the tie.

Alfreton Town Team:
Joe Day, Theo Streete, Adam Quinn, Greg Young, Connor Franklin, Josh Law, Jake Moult, Anton Brown, Nathan Arnold (Jordan Hall 86), Anthony Wilson (Paul Clayton 76), Nathan Jarman (Jamie Mullan 83).
Substitutes not used: Matt Wilson, Leigh Franks

Southport Team:

Tony McMillan, Chris Lever, Steve Akrigg (Earl Davis 58), Simon Grand, Shaun Whalley, Alan Moogan (c), Kurtis Guthrie (Jonathan Brown 60), James Smith, Andy Owens, Karl Ledsham (Adam Carden 67), Godfrey Poku.
Substitutes not used: Matt Nemes, Russell Benjamin.

Attendance break down: 394, 20 of which were from Southport

Goals: Alfreton Town - Anton Brown (38), Anthony Wilson (45+1), Nathan Jarman (47), Paul Clayton (80).

Cautions: Southport - Simon Grand (83, foul on Paul Clayton), Godfrey Poku (90+4, foul on Jake Moult)

Attendance: 394

Man of the Match: Anthony Wilson

Referee: Mr Robert Whitton of Braintree Match Reports

View Large Video
main club sponsor
Impact banner
Facebook Twitter
Next Game Poster
Tue 23/07/19 19:30
Scunthorpe United
Fixtures Match Reports  
23/07/2019 19:30:00 Scunthorpe United H
26/07/2019 19:30:00 Notts County H
03/08/2019 15:00:00 Brackley Town A
06/08/2019 19:45:00 Boston United H
10/08/2019 15:00:00 Blyth Spartans H
13/08/2019 19:45:00 Altrincham A
17/08/2019 15:00:00 Bradford Park Avenue H
24/08/2019 15:00:00 Guiseley A
26/08/2019 15:00:00 Southport H
31/08/2019 15:00:00 Kidderminster Harriers A
View all Fixtures