Boreham Wood 2 Alfreton Town 1

FT: Boreham Wood 2    1 Alfreton Town

14 January 2017

A 90th minute goalended Alfreton Town's F.A. Trophy progress at Boreham Wood on Saturday, the Reds meriting a replay with a battling performance agaist Conference National opposition.

Enforced changes were made by manager Nicky Law, with Mark Shelton and Brad Gascoigne ineligible, Cecil Nyoni and Terry Kennedy returned to the side beaten heavily at Harrogate Town the previous Saturday.  

The game itself was hardly a spectacle that a tie in the last 32 of a national competition might have expected, with both sides reluctant to take any risks. The first action of any note came after 15 minutes when Morgan Ferrier fired across the face of the goal after a neat turn.

Six minutes later Craig Westcarr just missed the back post with a rapidly inswinging corner following a Kallum Mantack free-kick, then after 33 minutes Matack's driven cross was held by home keeper Grant Smith as Paul Clayton homed in.

The Hertfordshire side took a 36th minute lead following a brief spell of intensive pressure, although Angelo Balanta was allowed a little too much rein as he advanced down the inside-left channel before unleashing a drive into the roof of the net.

A neat move saw Westcarr play a 44th minute interchange with Clayton. only to receive the return pass too sharply to engineer an assurate shot, but the signs were good that the Reds were still in contention.

HT: Boreham Wood 1    0 Alfreton Town

The belief materialised 11 minutes into the second half when Niall Heaton's close range header found the net from Paul Marshall's corner, the scorer having set up the piece with a cross from the left that had been hurriedly turned behind.

Within two minutes Monkhouse had forced Smith into a dramatic save with a volley from a free-kick, and at that point any neutral in the ground would have had difficulty identifying the team from the higher league.


Red's keeper Fabian Speiss had to be alert to deal with an angled drive by Mark Ricketts, then at the midpoint of the second half Danny Woodards somehow missed the tareget with a free header from a corner.

Very little happened in the remaining quater of the game with Boreham Wood unable to produce any significant breakthrough until that heart breaking last minute when Anthony Jeffrey was allowed to roam far too freely on the left before delivering the ball on a plate for former Braintree Town skipper Kenny Davis to fire past Speiss. 

Alfreton Town Team:

Speiss, Mantack, McGowan, Kennedy, Heaton, Nyoni, Marshall, Monkhouse ( Hearn 90+4), Wilson, Westcarr ( Priestley 90+4), Clayton

Subs not used : Jordan, A.Smith

Boreham Wood Team:

G. Smith, Woodards, Ricketts, Stephens ( Paine h/t), Davis, Andrade, Ferrier (Shakes 66), Jeffrey, Ilesanmi, Balanta, Devera

Subs not used : Nunn, Uchechi, Morgan 

Attendance: 213

Referee: Rob Whitton ( Braintree) Match Reports

View Large Video
main club sponsor
Impact banner
Facebook Twitter
Next Game Poster
Sat 29/06/19 15:00
Nottingham Forest
Fixtures Match Reports  
29/06/2019 15:00:00 Nottingham Forest H
06/07/2019 15:00:00 Walsall H
13/07/2019 15:00:00 Mansfield Town H
23/07/2019 19:30:00 Scunthorpe United H
26/07/2019 19:30:00 Notts County H
View all Fixtures