FT: Weymouth 0    6 Alfreton Town

14 January 2012

Match picture album by Dave Pursglove here    Weymouth FC website official pics here

Goals on youtube here

ALFERTON Town recorded their best away win in their 40th FA Trophy campaign when they rattled six goals past the opposition in the second round for the second year running.
Twelve months ago the Reds won a memorable replay 6-3 at Cambridge United, but scored six times without reply when they undertook their longest ever journey to Weymouth on Saturday.
Prize money of £6,000 was pocketed, but the Reds have to travel again in the third round on February 4, to the victors of Tuesday night's replay between Braintree Town and Gateshead.
Alfreton put the Southern Premier League side under intense pressure right from the start and had the tie sewn up long before half-time, with Nathan Jarman opening the scoring as early as the fourth minute.
Nathan Arnold had already forced two corners, and when Josh Law delivered the second of them Jamie Mullan's subsequent cross was headed sideways by Ben Gerring which allowed Anton Brown to nod the ball down for Jarman to hammer in from six yards.
Louis Moult was enjoying a lively debut and saw his eighth minute shot blocked by Ollie Tribe after running on to Theo Streete's through-ball, then a minute later Arnold's shot from 20 yards was expertly tipped over by Terras' keeper Nick Jordan with Greg Young heading wide from the corner.
Arnold skipped through a static Weymouth defence only to pull his by-line cross behind the supporting Louis Moult in the tenth minute, but atoned within 60 seconds by doubling Alfreton's advantage.
It was a long throw from Connor Franklin that was laid off by Brown for Arnold to take a couple of paces and steer a scuffed shot low into the corner of the net from eight yards.
Sam Malsom's run down the left and driven cross needed a good header out of defence by Young in the 15th minute, but ten minutes later the Reds led by three goals when Arnold doubled his tally.
It was Jake Moult's through-ball that allowed Arnold to run unchallenged into the area before firing home from 12 yards with a shot that took a helpful deflection off Sam Poole in the 25th minute.
Jake Moult fired over from 16 yards after receiving a pass from his brother, then Jarman volleyed over after Mullan's cross had bounced through the six-yard box, but Jarman did put Alfreton 4-0 ahead in the 38th minute.
It was Louis Moult's cross from the left that was laid off by Arnold for Mullan to pull back, and Jarman reacted quickest to thump the ball past Jordan into the top corner from just outside the area.
The fifth goal was crisply smacked in by Louis Moult from an angle after Mullan had completely missed making contact with Law's cross with an attempted overhead kick, the Stoke City loan player marking his debut in style.

HT: Weymouth 0    5 Alfreton Town

Weymouth made more of a show after the break but Stephen Reed fired wide from 30 yards following a wayward clearance by Dan Lowson in the 48th minute.
Arnold fired over at the other end three minutes later, then Jake Moult looked exasperated after he tried to pull the trigger three times eight yards out but on each occasion was stifled by desperate defending.
Law's free-kick was held by Jordan after substitute Paul Clayton had been toppled on the edge of the area, then Craig Duff wasted a good chance for the hosts by volleying over from a Reed cross.
It was 6-0 to Alfreton by the 77th minute when Clayton turned the ball in at the near post with his thigh after Anthony Wilson had headed down another good Franklin throw.
Lowson had to make a good save from Jamie Beasley with nine minutes remaining, then Anthony Wilson was only prevented from adding a seventh goal by the keeper's knees.
Wilson was again denied in the last minute before Jake Moult saw another good effort blocked, and the only sour point of the tie came in added time when both Brown and Jarman were booked along with Weymouth's Reed as a mass scuffle erupted on the half way line.

Alfreton Town Team:

Dan Lowson, Josh Law (Matt Wilson 76), Theo Streete, Greg Young (c), Connor Franklin, Jamie Mullan (Anthony Wilson 72), Jake  Moult, Anton Brown, Nathan Arnold (Paul Clayton 65), Nathan Jarman, Louis Moult.
Substitutes not used: Ross Turner (GK), Leigh Franks.

Weymouth Team:

1 Nick Jordan, 2 Ollie Tribe (Lewis Tasker,  h/t), 3 Scott Dixon (Jamie Beasley h/t), 4 Byron Napper, 5 Ben Gerring, 6 Sam Poole, 7 Craig Duff, 8 Sam Malsam, 9 Matt Groves (Ryan McKechnie 79), 10 Warren Byerley (c), 11 Stephen Reed.
Substitutes not used: 16 Richard Marshallsay, 26 Tom Manley.

Alfreton Town: Nathan Jarman (4, 38), Nathan Arnold (11, 25), Louis Moult (45), Paul Clayton (77).

Weymouth - Stephen Reid (90+2, retaliation)
Alfreton Town - Anton Brown (90+2, foul on Stephen Reid); Nathan Jarman (90+2,  dissent)

Attendance: 739

Man of the Match: Nathan Arnold

Referee: Wayne Barratt of Bromsgrove Match Reports

View Large Video
main club sponsor
Impact banner
Facebook Twitter
Next Game Poster
Sat 29/06/19 15:00
Nottingham Forest
Fixtures Match Reports  
29/06/2019 15:00:00 Nottingham Forest H
06/07/2019 15:00:00 Walsall H
13/07/2019 15:00:00 Mansfield Town H
23/07/2019 19:30:00 Scunthorpe United H
26/07/2019 19:30:00 Notts County H
View all Fixtures